Pasadena’s first Really Really Free Market (RRFM) will take place this Saturday, June 30, in the parking lot of Bresee Nazarene Church at 1480 E. Washington Blvd in Pasadena. It will take place from 9 am to 1 pm.The RRFM is like a rummage sale, except that everything is free. There is no bartering, trading, buying or selling, and no corporate sponsorship. All items at the RRFM are offered freely. The RRFM is also a grass roots festival. It is the spontaneous creation of those who show up. How to participate in the RRFM:
- First, show up. If you find something you need or want, take it.
- Second, if you have something you don’t need or want, bring it. There will be plenty of space for you to set out your items.
- Third, if you have a talent or skill you are passionate about, bring it. There will be a guitar circle at the first RRFM and likely at all or most subsequent RRFMs. If you cut hair and would like to offer this service free of charge, bring your tools. If you love to play chess, bring your board—we can provide the table. If you want to do an interpretive dance, bring your leotard.
- Fourth, leave business cards at home. This event will be completely non-commercial, a drastic change from life as usual, which is increasingly dominated by corporate ads.
- Fifth, tell your friends, especially if they are in need. All are welcome. Nothing will be reserved for those with “discretionary income.”
And remember, the RRFM will be what we make of it together. If you have an idea, bring it or contact the temporary project “leader” John L. at jbloghry at aol dot com .
This will be the first of (hopefully) many RRFMs to be held this summer and fall, at both this location and at other locations.
This announcement was received through the email grapevine and posted with John L’s permission. The email also included a link to a site about an RRFM that takes place every month in Carrboro.